• Beef bacon tastes a lot more meaty, with less fat and more flesh to bite into
• Health-conscious consumers have the option to eat grass-fed bacon
• Leaner option are available in beef bacon that pork belly bacon
• Beef bacon is much lower in saturated fat
• A good option for religious persons who are discouraged or forbidden from eating pork
Beef bacon is particularly popular in some Muslim countries and is available in many Halal stores. Sometimes it is referred to as breakfast beef or beef fry/frye.
There are some arguments that beef bacon is simply not a good substitute for pork bacon. In our non-expert, foodie opinions, anything can be prepared deliciously, using a great savory spice blend, full flavor fats where needed for lean meats and proper cooking techniques.
Some argue that beef bacon has a more mellow and toothsome characteristic and is ultimately preferred not from habit or religious preferences, but because they prefer the taste of beef over pork naturally.
Either way, beef bacon is available not only in Halal stores, but at Whole Foods market and other specialty markets. Beef bacon is becoming increasingly popular, so it should not be too difficult to find. Give it a whirl to see what your thoughts are on the differences in fat, flavor and texture. Just like we recommend nitrate free bacon, we are also huge fans of grass-fed beef for obvious health reasons. Once you go grass-fed, you will never want to go back.
If you like to do-it-yourself, pick up a beef brisket, a brining container or bucket (even gallon ziplock bags will work), some kitchen twine and a smoker and some basic YouTube videos and make your own delectable, healthy beef bacon.